A History of Shiloh United Methodist Church
In 1978, the Billings United Methodist Church Extension Society purchased four acres of land, receiving another acre as a gift, for the present site of the church. In 1985, Bishop Melvin Wheatley appointed Barry L. Padget to be the first pastor of the new church started in west Billings. That year, at Annual Conference, a survey of the west end of Billings was conducted to determine the number of families who might be interested in a new United Methodist Church. About 75 families responded positively and a visiting program was conducted by the new pastor.
On September 15, 1985, the first worship service was held at St. John’s Lutheran Home with over one hundred people attending. On January 19, 1986, the new church was chartered as Shiloh United Methodist Church with 74 members joining that day. By the end of that year, the church had grown to 97 members.
On September 11, 1988, Groundbreaking Services were held at 1810 Shiloh Road and construction proceeded. The first worship service in the new church building was conducted with about 150 members on May 7, 1989.
In March of 1990, another 1.2 acres of land were gifted. In 1999, the construction of the new Education Wing of the church was completed. In 2004, an easement from Avenue C to the church property was gifted to the church by long time supporters of Shiloh UMC.
Our second pastor, Beth Garnaas-Holmes served Shiloh from July 1, 2001 through June 30, 2002. Our third pastor, David Burt, led us from July 1, 2002 until June 30, 2007. Jan Witman, our fourth pastor, served from July 1, 2007 – June 30, 2011. Donald Bailey served as interim pastor until June 30, 2012. Dave Merkel is our current pastor, having been appointed by the bishop beginning July 1, 2012.